Saturday, March 12, 2011

Merit Weekend at UK

These last two days have been a blast!  I haven't played Pokémon at all, but I did go to the University of Kentucky Merit Weekend!  Cam and I got to sign up for classes early there so we don't have to worry about classes being full or anything.  Actually, since we were at the first Merit Weekend, we were the VERY first to sign up!  As you can tell with all of the exclamation marks, I'm extremely excited about registering for my classes and being able to see what I'm going to be taking in college and at what times.
     Right before I left to go to UK for Merit Weekend, I received a letter from UK saying that all I received was the Presidential Scholarship from them.  This is still a lot of money (~$8,500), but I was still keeping my hopes up for the Singletary Scholarship.  I was happy with the knowledge of what scholarships I had though.
     After stopping at the hotel room to drop off our luggage, we headed right for the campus.  When we arrived, we received a folder and a back-sack that were filled with confusing information.  Truthfully, I haven't gone through everything yet.  Many of these things are just pamphlets of what things go on at UK.  Anyways, there was an introductory presentation, and then we got to go to our section's presentation in another building.  Cam's and my section was engineering.  This was probably the most confusing part of the entire weekend!
     I got a class schedule template that was filled out with just some recommended classes and was told to fill out the times by today.  We were never given class time-sheets though.  This was fixed today when the counsellors actually gave us the sheets.  Filling them out today was very fun though!  It sounds nerdy, but being able to pick what classes I wanted and when they were was something that I had never done before.  In high school, I got to pick classes, but I never got to pick times or what days to have them.  The day also always started at 8:00... which was terrible.  I don't like early mornings; I love my sleep. 
     The counsellors were very helpful throughout the entire process, and I'm glad they were there to tell us what classes were necessary to graduate for each major.  I also found out the the Honors College at UK takes care of most of my humanities/gen. ed. courses!  I still have to take a "global citezenship" course, but it will be easy.  I'm thinking of pre-1868 Japanese culture; it's basically about the medieval Japanese culture.  This course will be offered in the Spring semester, and that's when I'm taking it.  The only thing left for me to do is pass the AP Calculus and Chemistry exams that way I don't have to take them in college.
     So all-in-all, this weekend has been very productive, helpful, and exciting!  I'm happy to have myself registered for classes and know what I have to do now: band audition and Honors Program LLC application.  These should be a piece of cake though.  Unless it's a lie...

No comments:

Post a Comment